Handmade Modest Swimwear Boutique

by Jen on May 1, 2009

By Jen

A friend in my neighborhood makes really cute modest swimsuits – her company is Black & White Apparel (they have color collections too). They specialize in modest pin-up girl swimwear for teen girls and women. Their fun, retro-inspired designs will make you want to buy more than one! The swimsuits can be customized for any size (even maternity), and the wide selection of tops and bottoms can be mixed and matched for a personalized look. For a handmade designer modest swimsuit visit BlackAndWhiteApparel.etsy.com.

Anonymous June 8, 2009 at 1:10 pm

I'm not LDS but I love this magazine as a resource for young women seeking modesty. One issue I have though is that modesty is as much an attitude as it is what you wear. I was very dissapointed with some of the photos of these young women modeling these swimsuites. Although the suites are very cute, I think the poses these girls are in are very compromising and sending a message completely contrary to message of modesty. I am glad to see trendy modern fun styles, but I would just like to pass on the desire to see them modeled in a way that is pleasing to the Lord.

Laura C. from Longview January 27, 2010 at 7:01 pm

I AM LDS, and find that a lot of our girls have the attitude you speak of… maybe they are trying to "push the line" but it is still unsettling and undoes whatever good their modest clothing accomplishes!

Perhaps changing the way the girls in the photos pose could change how the readers perceive themselves so they don't feel the need to flaunt…

Anonymous April 9, 2010 at 1:14 pm

I agree with the previous comments on the way the girls are immodestly posed in many photos advertising modest clothes. Modesty can celebrate the beauty of a woman without objectifying her. I appreciate jenmagazine and hope that our comments will somehow reach those who are choosing to have their models pose immodestly.

Modestkini April 22, 2010 at 11:37 pm

I just came across this blog and found it very interesting indeed.

Anonymous May 30, 2010 at 8:45 am

How are the poses immodest? The women are doing their job – showing the swimsuits! Do you expect them pose in their swimsuit with a Birka on so you don't see any flesh? Perhaps they can cover their whole body with a blanket so they don't come accross as posing too sexy. It's so sad that "religion" makes women ashamed of their bodies. If God didn't want you to have breasts and curves, he wouldn't have made them. If you are so ashamed of your body then don't even bother wearing a swimsuit, just don't swim at all. Be proud of what God gave to you. You don't see men worrying about not being modest. If men lust at immodesty then it's THEIR sin, NOT yours!

rebehoff October 28, 2010 at 10:25 pm

I kinda agree with this last post, in the point that the models are just showing how the swimsuits look. I'm not sure which poses are in question here, but I looked at all of them and there were none that were questionable that I saw….and I am LDS and very active and follow the Lord's commandments to the best of my ability.
Its actually nice to see exactly how the swimsuit is cut, front and back. These models pose in a way to show just that, how it fits. Some of the other sites on here that have swimsuits don't show the back and its hard to know if you're gonna love the suit if you can't see how its gonna fit on you…granted we're not all as skinny as these models are! But swimming is exercise and swimming helps us get healthy! I'm for that! And I'm also for modest swimwear that you don't have to worry about show off too much!
Very cute suits! I love the pin-ups inspired designs. LOVE LOVE LOVE polka dots!

Julia Smith October 26, 2011 at 7:55 am

Black and White Apparel has changed their name to Whimsey Lane Apparel. http://www.whimseylaneapparel.com
They now sell dresses and are talking about bringing their swimwear back during the summer time. Everything is now ready made and not handmade to order.