Make It Modest if it’s Not

by Jen on May 5, 2005

I just made a listmania list of the best shrugs and stuff to wear over your prom dress to make it modest: CLICK HERE to see them all!

Anonymous November 27, 2005 at 8:52 pm

I appreciate that there are young women out there that aren’t interested in wearing clothes that most girls find ok nowdays (I thought my clothes as a teen-ager were a little racy). I am tired of seeing girls with Playboy logo shirts, too much cleavage, and minis that are so short they cease to be flattering (especially for most girls that tend to gravitate towards that kind of clothing–the heavy ones), but what is with the shrug thing? Why is showing off a little shoulder immodest? A young women can expose her shoulders a bit or show off a little leg and still be age-appropriate and stylish. The key is moderation and taste.

Jen November 27, 2005 at 9:21 pm

This site is specifically for Latter-Day Saints and the modesty beliefs of Latter-Day Saints include covering the shoulders.

Heather January 8, 2006 at 10:53 pm

Your site is a wonderful tool for the young women of the church and I appreciate it as a member of a young women’s presidentcy. -Just as a side note, the photo you have used of the girl wearing the shrug is not modest. Her neckline would not cover garments!

melissa March 30, 2006 at 4:40 pm

thissite is awesome. i think it is cool that young women are going to such lengths bto be modest. i get to go to prom next year, but this has solved my worries. i’ll reccomend it to my friends. iz cool

Anonymous May 7, 2006 at 11:03 pm

I think it is great that there are becoming so many sites for Young girls to look for modest styles. However, I find some of the modest styles…not quite modest. Yes they have high neck lines and have at least cap sleeves, but they are pretty tight fitting. Leaves little for the imagination when a t-shirt clings to you like a second skin. I happen to be rather well endowed so I have been always self conscious about it. And I find it hideous to take a skimpy lace top and stick a t-shirt under it. Perhaps it is a style I’ll never understand like mullets and high heals with jeans!

bonnie May 7, 2006 at 11:07 pm

I really do think it is great that there are other options for young girls to find modest clothes. I am seeing a lot of these thin tee’s that girls are layering and I don’t neccesarily find them to be modest.They are quite tight, leaving little to the imagination. I know it’s hard to find clothes to wear that are appropriate, but I find it hideous that people are taking a skimpy lace top and sticking a tight fitting T-shirt underneath it. If it’s immodest don’t wear it. Perhaps it’s another style I’ll never get used to like mullets and stilettos with tappered jeans!

bonnie May 7, 2006 at 11:09 pm

oops

Anonymous May 9, 2006 at 10:13 am

I am not a teen, but design modest prom gowns for teens so this is a topic I am accutely aware of. I agree that even within the church there are too many tight t’s and belly’s hanging out. My RM son, who is cuter than Brad Pitt, refuses to date the cutest girl in his singles ward for the simple reason that she won’t stay away from the low necklines and tight t-shirts. Does she know that she’s missing out on a date with the cutest guy ever? Does she know that all of his friends feel the same? I doubt it. She thinks that what she’s doing is attracting the guys, but it has the opposite effect. I wish someone would tell her. So stick with it girls! Stay away from the shugs and just get a dress that covers you up! You’re date will respect you for it! Laura Nash

Anonymous November 11, 2006 at 8:56 pm

Even though this site is specifically for Mormons, it has helped me come up with some ideas for my Muslim friend for prom. None of her skin can show except for her hands and face. She has a special head covering she wears too, so the neckline has to be high enough that it doesn’t look awkward. Many thanks!

Anonymous January 1, 2007 at 12:01 pm

It is NOT ok to have a little shoulder showing. It might just be that I’m the Bishop’s daughter and the Young Woman President’s daughter, but the quote “Give Satan an inch and he’ll take it a mile” is still true. If you show off “a little shoudler”, it’s easier to show off a little more and so on. It also shows you in an way you might not like or actually be. NEVER show ANY shoulder.

Anonymous January 16, 2007 at 4:16 pm

wow!! this site is great!! i am a muslim girl, and im dreading asking to go to prom because i know finding a dress my family will approve of is going to be difficult. you have some great stuff here!! please keep this up!! the one problem is that the dresses are really expensive…any sites that have these great styles for cheaper? thanks again, and keep up the great work!

Anonymous February 27, 2007 at 2:19 pm

I appreciate any site that helps young women of any religion to find more modest clothing options. I agree that many are often a little too expensive. My daughter is not old enough to date yet, but she does pageants. I don’t have a problem with her wearing a shrug or jacket over an otherwise immodest dress. Most recently she wore a hot pink satin strapless gown from a consignment shop with a black satin short sleeved formal jacket over it. It was beautiful, elegant, modest, and best of all, $75 instead of $375.

Anonymous August 5, 2007 at 6:04 pm

Hi! I just met a Latter-Day Saint menber in my college class and decided to read a little about the LDS practices. I’m impressed with this site; the clothing suggestions are modest without looking frumpy and attractive without being trashy. I will recommend this site to my friends who are bravely defending thier daughters against the influence of Paris Hilton and Bratz dolls!

Anonymous August 5, 2007 at 9:09 pm

Hello! I just discovered this site about twenty minutes ago, and I’ve really enjoyed what I’ve found. I am a Latter Day Saint young woman, and one of three Mormons in a high school of over 1,000. My clothing stands out compared to many of my peers’ because I choose outfits that are both cute and covering. Now, it isn’t always easy to find appropriate clothes in a lot of stores, but that certainly isn’t an excuse to do away with modesty in your dress. Being modest is very important in this day and age because it not only shows respect for your body (which is a gift from Heavenly Father), but it also sets an example of what LDS girls stand for to non-members. People often ask why I don’t wear tube tops, short shorts, low necklines, etc., and these comments on my appearence are a wonderful opportunity to talk about the church. Plus, when you dress modestly, you feel better about yourself and have more confidence. And what truly great guy can resist a girl who respects her body and stands up for her standards? I admire any person, no matter their religion, who is willing to stand for rightousness in their actions (and what they wear). Oh, and as for the shoulder comment, listen to what the spirit tells you when you’re unsure about an outfit’s modesty level, not anybody else. I tend to use this phrase when choosing clothes: “If Jesus walked into the room and I was wearing this, would I be comfortable?” It helps me make the appropriate choice for myself (and for the record, I’m not really against a little bit of skin on occasion, but personally, tees are the way to go). Good Luck!

Anonymous May 5, 2008 at 6:58 pm

I really appreciate what “anonymous” (at 9:09) said, and I agree that we should respond to the whisperings of the Holy Ghost when determining what is modest and what is not. I believe that it is very important for members of the LDS church to set an example of the standards set for us by our Heavenly Father at all times, and I never show my shoulders, except when I am wearing a swimsuit (a modest one). But I completely DISAGREE that it is immodest to show shoulders. The shape of/skin on our shoulders is not sexually suggestive, and I do not believe that my non-member friends who wear dresses that show their shoulders are under the influence of Satan. I also think it’s silly to suggest that women who show the skin on their shoulders will be led into making unchaste decisions. As long as their chest and legs are adequately covered, and their dresses are not too tight, they are doing nothing to provoke inappropriate thoughts in the minds of others (or themselves). Being modest is about showing respect for what God gave us, and I think it’s great that as Latter-day Saints we are incouraged to go the EXTRA MILE and cover our shoulders to set ourselves apart as examples.

Anonymous May 9, 2008 at 3:26 pm

Look, clothes are either modest or they’re not. If you worry so much about technical things, then you’re not getting it. The point is what someone sees when they look at you. We’ve been given some straightforward guidelines,but spending time trying to see if you can get away with something means that you don’t really care about being modest. If you did, then you would want to be on the safe side.

Melissa May 27, 2008 at 1:26 pm

To Anonymous (6:58): You also have to keep in mind one of the reasons we wear modest clothing – garments! I’ve been married for over a year, and I have to keep my shoulders covered so my garment sleeves aren’t showing. Therefore, it IS immodest to show your shoulders. I’m grateful that you’re sticking to your standards anyways, even if you don’t fully understand them.
P.S. I don’t think my knees are overly “sexually suggestive” but that’s where my skirts end anyways!

Anonymous July 7, 2008 at 9:23 pm

I am Catholic and I love this store! To many girls (and guys for that matter) are now past the line that cuts off modesty and goes over to inappropriate. I think it’s sad and I would like to change that. This site helps me to. Thanks again.

Vitamin G Style January 27, 2011 at 9:15 pm

I think as hard as it is for teens (and all women) to be modest these days, we shouldn't put them down for what they aren't wearing, but congratulate them for the fact that they are making an attempt to be modest to begin with.

I've started a blog in hopes to show girls that you can be stylish AND modest. My boutique will have all designer name dresses (25-75% off retail prices) and will be modest in style. I'm hoping to show girls it's ok to wear shrugs, layers and be fashionable while always striving to maintain modest standards.

Celebrate the efforts, don't judge the shortcomings!
vitaminGstyle.blogspot.com